Monday, July 20, 2009

P90X Round 2 - Day 57

Today I completed my workout at home instead of with my workout group. And since this is first day of Phase 3, I decided to try something new and exciting. Instead of Chest & Back, supplemented was Tony Horton's 30-15 Upper Body Massacre.

There's really only one word to describe this workout: OUCH. If you are unfamiliar with the One on One DVD's this particular one is "simple oldschool" pushups and pullups.

30-15
30 various pushups
15 various pullups

Then repeat 12 sets of each! Oh baby.

I like this workout because there is no fooling around with weights and there are tons of breaks inbetween to stretch out your entire upper body so you can move on with enough strength to do the next set. I felt really energized until about halfway where I began getting fatigued with my pullups. I wrote down my reps since this is the first time I've done this workout (there are no official worksheets for this, hm).

Note that the 30-15 is a just a guide, and if you have not done this workout yourself, your workout may be 10-5 or 25-12, or whatever you can crank out. Just remember to set your goals. I tried to aim for 15-8 for each set and of course by the end I was struggling, but still managed to eek out those pullups as best I could. Today I did not use chair assist like I would ususally do with Chest & Back. Once I could not pull myself up the bar with proper form, I was finished with that pullup set.

My numbers are below. They are nowhere near impressive, but I am extremely proud of my results.

15-8
15-8
16-12
18-12
20-7
15-5
17-8
16-8
15-7
20-8
16-7
19-6

Totals: 202 pushups and 96 pullups w/ no chair assist. In under an hour, this is a great workout. I had the blood flowing and the muscles were expanding. At a few points, I could barely clasp my hands behind my back to do a shoulder stretch, that's how pumped I was! I think this rivals Chest, Shoulders, & Triceps as one of my favorite workouts. Next time, my personal goal is to do 215 pushups and 100 pullups w/ no chair assist. I may sub this into the first upper body workout of week 15 and see how much my performance has improved since then.

In terms of an ab workout, I completed OoO Killer Abs and a few exercises from Abs Core +. I found that in Killer Abs I could keep up for the most part (I still struggle with ARX). My reasoning is that for Ab Ripper X done during P90X workouts, they focus more on slower movements and proper form whereas here, Tony is just cranking out reps of 20's. I really enjoyed Ab Ripper 100 and 200 (more oblique moves, yay!) as I haven't done Power 90 at all, and these were something refreshing and new! I may do Killer Abs a lot more since it isn't much longer than the regular Ab Ripper X and most of the components are the same for each. I finished up the day with the non weighted parts of Abs Core + and that was it.

One last thing, I am kind of disappointed that I can't track my One on One Volume 2 order as it should be in transit, but the tracking # Beachbody gave me is turning up no results as of now. In the e-mail it said it would be delivered by Thursday of this week, but I also live in Canada which is approximately 2 week transit time from the States. Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. I have tons of other workouts to get in before then!

Still bringin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment